10 Steps to Better Conversations
In this insightful talk, Radio host,Celeste Headlee shares ten useful rules for having better conversations. "Go out, talk to people, listen to people," she says. "And, most importantly, be prepared to be amazed."Here are the ten rules you should use for any conversation.
1. Don’t multi-task. Be present. Be in that moment. Don’t think about other things.
2. Don’t pontificate. If you want to share your opinion without a response - write a blog post. Enter the conversation assuming you have something to learn.
“Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don’t.” - Bill Nye.
3. Use open-ended questions. Start with who, what, where, when, why, how?
4. Go with the flow. Let the thoughts that enter your mind flow away. We stop listening when we think of other things.
5. When you don’t know, say you don’t know.
6. Don’t equate your experience with theirs. All experiences are individual.
7. Try not to repeat yourself. It’s condescending.
8. Stay out of the weeds. People don’t care about the names, dates, and details. They care about you and what you have in common.
9. Listen. The most important skill you can develop.
10. Be brief.
Honesty, brevity, clarity, and a healthy amount of listening.